Jul 8, 2008

EPIPHANY

I had an epiphany today. I was emailing a friend regarding weight loss and I found myself writing this:

I have slowly learned that you cannot have the "all or nothing" attitude with weight loss or you will fail. Guaranteed. Want to know why? Because you are not perfect. You never will be. Accept it. Own it. MOVE ON. When you mess up, acknowledge it. Tell yourself, that was a crappy decision. Whether it was to eat that piece of cake or to skip a workout you chose it and you can now MOVE ON and choose differently. You are never going to hit 100% all the time. And even on those random (and they are random for me) weeks when everything goes well and you get all your cardio in and you stay right at your calorie level, your body might decide to laugh at you and gain 1/2 a pound instead of dropping the 2-3 pounds it should have. MOVE ON. You do have to be making a consistent effort to choose the right things the majority of the time, not only because it will hopefully help you lose weight, but because it's good for you. So if week to week you are not seeing the exact results you want (and trust me, you won't) you can have the satisfaction of knowing that you are making your body and life healthier.
And that is a good feeling.
Am I good or what?! ; )
I hope that this can help someone else out there who may be struggling, because it sure helped me.
And guess what? I ate a big bowl (I mean a BIG bowl) of ice cream (not just ice cream, vanilla with chocolate fudge swirled through it) tonight at my sister in laws. And I skipped my workout. Those were some crappy choices.
Now I'm moving on.

No comments: