Mar 24, 2008

I DID IT!!!!!

On Saturday, March 22 I reached my goal of running a 5k!

I was so nervous the night before that I slept terribly. I woke up every couple of hours and I tossed and turned like crazy. My alarm went off at 6am and I stumbled out of bed. I was tired. I felt like I had only gotten a few hours of sleep; that made me really nervous. I got ready to head out the door by 7:15. Oh no, there went my spastic colon, I had to make a bathroom run. Or three! I ate some crackers with cheese, a fun size m&m and headed out the door with my hubby and some bottled water.

I had butterflies in my stomach. I was worried; was I really going to be able to do this without a treadmill to regulate my speed and without distance markers to push myself? I knew I had to try!
I registered and received my free t-shirt. Yay! Then came the wait time, sitting in the car with the heater blasting since it was only around 40 degrees. Brrr!! Everyone started lining up, it was time! I kissed my hubby for luck and took my place with the crowd. I set my ipod up; I had some killer running songs! They yelled go and we took off. The crowd quickly ran off MUCH faster than me, but I didn't care! I wasn't here to race anyone, I was here to prove to myself that I could do this!

It was cold. And windy. Very cold and very windy! But it felt so good to be moving my body with a destination and goal in mind instead of just running on the treadmill. My lungs were working harder than I was used to, dang cold and wind! I walked for about 30 seconds 2 or 3 times and jogged the rest of the time. I felt so good. Pretty soon my hands were too hot and sweaty to keep my gloves on so I stuck them in my jacket pockets. My nose started to run, but I had thought ahead and stashed some tissues in my pocket. I could see the 2 mile marker just ahead, I was more than half-way done!

When I had about a quarter mile left, I pushed myself. I ran faster, but then I felt like I might throw up. No good, had to slow it back down. I could see Paul and his sister Lorrie and her husband Ron waiting for me at the finish line. They were cheering me on! I ran past the guy with the cards and he yelled out my time: 38 minutes, 10 seconds. WHAT!? You mean I did it in under 40 minutes! NO WAY!!! I was so pumped!

I stopped jogging (because that's what you do when you finish a race) and walked around and talked with Ron and Lorrie and Paul. Lorrie only beat me by 2 minutes and Ron only beat me by about 10 minutes! Sweet. We took some pictures, and then the pain came (you'd think I had run a marathon with this story, but nope, I just did 3.1 miles.) All the muscles across my rib cage and around my back started to tighten up and I thought I was either going to be sick or pass out from the pain. Luckily, I didn't do either. After about 10 minutes of deep breathing to try to relax those muscles, the pain went away. Then we went to O'Charley's for our free breakfast. It was awesome. Ron and Lorrie both won 2nd place in their age divisions! Yay for them!!!

When I got home I soaked in the tub (and fell asleep!) I am so excited to keep going! My goal is to run a 5k every month from now through September. Then in October I am going to Bowling Green with Paul, Ron and Lorrie to do a 10k!
I am not trying to brag, I realize I'm not top of the line at this running thing, but I am so proud of myself! If you had told me three months ago that I was going to be running a 5k now, I would have laughed in your face! I am so excited with how far I have come and how much further I can go!!!

8 comments:

Callie Hansen said...

YAY for you!!!! That's wonderful. I have great aspirations, and you inspire me!

Robin said...

I am SO proud of you! You have the best attitude and motivation. I don't know what I would do on my own diet with out you!!

Katie said...

that is so exciting! i have actually never ran a race before (besides high school track which doesn't count). but my goal is to run a 5K and a 10K this year. i'll have to let you know how it goes so that i follow through!
congratulations again- i'm so proud of you!

Bonnie said...

Cherise!! I am so proud of you. Seriously. You look great (even with the discovery of HOT Krispy kremes!). I'm very jealous. You've inspired me to get running again. Seriously, you are amazing! 38 minutes is great, too. You rock girl!

p.s. - sorry I fell off the face of the earth for like a million years. I'm back to normal life now, so Happy Anniversary (late) and I miss you!

Anonymous said...

Yea Girl!!! I am so so so excited for you! That is so awesome! Way to go! Keep on going! Luvs...

Brennie said...

Yay! I knew you could do it. GREAT job. I am so happy for you. What a great accomplishment.

caitlin said...

You are my hero! I def. couldn't do a marathon, let alone doing in 38 mins! I would keel over half way and people would be trompling me (is trompling a word? :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Peanutbutter, you come by it naturally. Remember when your ole dad would get up run 10 miles out to the power plant then go to work all day at the sheriff's office? It makes you feel good and I am proud you are living healthy.