Jul 16, 2009

A WEIGHTY MATTER

So, I haven't posted on my weight loss since here. That's because I pretty much stopped making any progress. My weight was zig-zagging back and forth and I wasn't putting the work into it. I recently jumped back on board and I got as low as 134. Then I lost it (my motivation, not the weight) again and now I weigh. . .


hang on, let me go get my scale


140.0


yuck.


I've literally seen that number, and every number between it and 135, 12 billion times in the last 4 months.

(okay 12 billion times is a bit of an exaggeration. but i think you get the point i'm trying to make)


YO-YO


Here's the problem:

oh yes I know what it is, I just don't know how to fix it


I work hard 4 days a week, 12 hour shifts. I am physical for all 12 hours. I don't get to sit down. I pack very healthy eating choices and have no time at home except to sleep and hug my hub for 2 seconds, so I don't do any random snacking. I even occasionally make it on the treadmill.


You're probably thinking, "I don't see a problem there." That's because there isn't one. The problem is the other 3 days of the week. These are the problems/thoughts/mentality I fight those 3 days:

1 - I worked hard the last 4 days so the last thing I want to do is go to the gym to work hard again

2 - I ate well (sometimes boringly so) so I want to enjoy some food. However, I have yet to master the art of moderation.

3 - by the end of the 4 work days I have usually hit my 2 pound weight loss goal so I think those 3 days won't matter.

Hello, if you eat too many calories the weight comes back. I can't seem to remember that until monday weigh in rolls around. Then I have a Homer Simpson "Doh" moment. Sometimes I even smack myself in the forehead.


Here's what I have learned from this experience.


Weight loss is purely mental.

okay maybe not purely, but at least 95% mental.

Yes, you have to eat less, exercise more, to lose weight, but last time I checked, my legs do not have a mind of their own. The only reason they don't get on the treadmill is because I don't tell them to. My stomach does not decide to eat 2 entire bags (not individual bags, the medium size, fills-up-a-candy-bowl bag) of m&m's in 2 days,
I do.
Hypothetically speaking.

Are you picking up what I am putting down? If all it took to lose weight was eat less, move more, we would all be skinny. Instead we have to get past ourselves, fight those 'inner demons' or whatever you want to call them.

It's ridiculous.

Just get on the dang treadmill, stop putting so much in your mouth.

That's what I try to tell myself. It's not working yet. What works for you?

I need some help.

5 comments:

caitlin said...

The only way that seems to work for me. (Because I LOVE food, and I feel almost sad.. for a lack of a better word if I don't splurge sometimes)

Is to eat 1200(ish) calories a day, and take two eating days where I eat whatever I want. The coaches on the Biggest Loser even say that's a good thing, because it satiates your cravings, AND it trips up your metabolism.

And obviously you would still have to exercise. Anyway, just what works for me. But I think you're doing great and look fabulous girl.

Utah Youngs said...

girl you hit it on the head! I would love to hit 140 again!! i gained so much weight when i was pregnant i don't know if i will ever even hit 150 again! i have been doing the hcg diet and it works great! i wish i had the discipline to hop on the exer-cycle every day though--i just like being lazy!! and eating is about my favorite thing to do! i totally pick up what you are puttin' down--why does it have to be so hard to lose weight!!

Ashley said...

Dude, it's like you've read my mind about my frustrations. As soon as you learn the secret to mastering the mental part of all this, let me know. The only thing that works for me is if I have Benjy completely empty out the house of anything tasty and I just end up starving. Yeah, it's great fun.

The Jackson Three said...

I don't know...what's worked for me is my car isn't insured, so I am on foot or bike everyday! that's fun! so, i'm being more physical...but, um...i still don't have it down. tis hard! we are in the same family and have the same probs...i guess we just really need to find the reason that makes it worth it...even that doesn't work though...i don't know! but i know you looked HOT at my wedding and you are doing amazingly! i'm so proud of you! we can do it! love you!

katieo said...

I haven't yet mastered moderation either!

what works for me? Gain 40 pounds. It's much easier to lose a lot than a little, LOL!